Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Review #28: The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)



  • Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
  • Publication date: 2/27/2007
  • Pages: 448

  • ***Disclaimer: I got this book from NetGalley for a fair and honest review.
    Synopsis:
    Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high-schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts. Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: He is Weirlind; part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At the head of this magical society sit the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game. A magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death, The winning house ruling the Weir. As if his bizarre magical heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he s not just another member of Weirlind, he's one of the last of the warriors at a time when both houses are scouting for a player. Jack's performance on the soccer field has alerted the entire magical community to the fact that he's in Trinity. And until one of the houses is declared Jack's official sponsor, they'll stop at nothing to get Jack to fight for them.

    My Thoughts/Review:
    I can't believe I waited this long to read this amazing book. I loved this book from the beginning and from the moment I started reading it. It has such a unique twist on the relationship between Wizards, Warriors, Enchanters, Sorcerers and Soothsayers. This book really brought magic back into my life. I love magic and different cultures of magic in my books. I loved the story from Jack's weirbook on how everything came to pass in the novels magical world. I really loved everything about it. I really did, I can't think of a negative thing to say.

    Jack was such an awesome character. All of the characters were great in fact. Jack's personality was very similar to my own and he was very brave throughout the things he had to face including the possibility of his own death. The supporting characters were perfect from Hastings to Linda to Jack's friends Will and Fitch. They were all awesome in their own right. The story brought an amazing adventure quality to it. From the moment Jack finds out what he is I felt like I was in for the ride with him. I loved all the struggles and dangers that he had to face. I figured out the major twist at the end of the book before it happened but I am so glad that I did. I guessed and just knew who the other warrior the red rose found to fight Jack at the game was. I won't spoil it for those that haven't read it. The ending battle scene that took place at the game was so well written it was my favorite part of the book. I am so glad how the book turned out. It ended in a perfect way that made me wanting more.

    Cinda Williams Chima is an awesome writer. Once again I can't believe it has tooken me this long to read her books. She is such an amazing fantasy writer. She makes worlds that make me want to be apart of them. I can't wait to read her other books and series. The next companion book in this series, The Wizard Heir, looks really great and I can't wait to read it. I definitely suggest reading this book if you haven't. Don't waste another single second with this book waiting on your to be read list. I am hate that I waited so long to read it and am so glad that I finally did.


    Overall I give this book...

    5 out of 5 Stars
    It's magical and adventurous, the perfect combination. =]
    Links to Check it Out:
    Thanks for Visiting and Happy Reading
    -Michael



    1 comment:

    1. I read this book a couple summers ago and then bought all her others as ebooks because I loved the story and writing so much. Nice review!

      ReplyDelete