Thursday, November 17, 2011

Review #27: Tempest by Julie Cross

Tempest (Tempest #1)


  • Pub. Date: January 17, 2012
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press
  • Format: Hardcover , 352pp 

  • ***Disclaimer- I received this Advanced Readers Copy through the Goodreads First Reads Program and was sent by the publisher St. Martin's Press.

    Synopsis:
    The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

    That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

    Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

    But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

    Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.

    "Brimming with excitement, romance, and intrigue. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!"-Beth Revis, New York Times Best Selling Author Of Across The Universe.

    today
    Jackson and Holly are in Love

    tomorrow
    She will lie Dying in his Arms

    yesterday
    Jackson must undo it all

    My Thoughts/Review
    I found my new favorite book of 2012, and it's Tempest by Julie Cross. It was so good from the moment I started reading it. Words can not describe how awesome this book was but I am going to try and tell you. I am really happy that I entered the Goodreads Giveaway and actually won an ARC. From the beginning to the end it was action packed and filled will great characters and story lines. Jumping all around the place to different times and places made it fantastic. Of course that is what happens in a novel about time traveling but it was done in such an amazing and unique way that made me love reading it. This book was touching and had such powerful love and romance in it. I loved the time-traveling elements and all the different unique terminology. It was like nothing I have ever read and was completely surprising. I loved it.

     Jackson is such an awesome character and is so relateable. I loved that it was told from the male perspective. I also liked that it was an older teen, someone that is closer to my age. There aren't many YA books told from that point of view that are out and it made the story more engaging for me.  I loved going on his adventures into the past with him. From the beginning he made time traveling seem like awesome fun. It made me want his abilities. His love for Holly transcended time and he would do anything to get back and save her. His friend Adam was the super geek and knew exactly what experiments to test out Jackson's abilities and knew exactly what to do when they got into some trouble. I would totally want a friend like Adam to be able to help out in those situations. I am a twin and in the book Jackson has a twin sister named Courtney. Something happens and if you read the book you know what I am talking about and this part really touched me. The letter/card that Jackson writes his sister really made me cherish and reevaluate my relationship with my twin brother. It was my one of my favorite parts of the book.

    Julie Cross is a new and upcoming debut author that I can not wait to read more from. I can really tell and hope that she will become really successful. I want to read more and more books from her because she is such an awesome writer. Julie actually interacts with her fans and it really made me happy that she thanks them at the back of Tempest. Her book literally had me enthralled from the very first page. This book is a story like no other it was addictive and I wanted to read it every moment that I couldn't. The ending completely shocked me. I really wasn't expecting it to end that way. I can not wait to find out what happens in the second book in the series and how everything turns out. I am so glad that it is a planned trilogy. Also it has already been pre-empted by Summit Entertainment(makers of Twilight) for a feature film. This book is going to make an awesome movie and I can't wait to see it. If you haven't heard of this book you should definitely read the synopsis. When it comes out in January you have to buy it. Seriously it is that good. I loved every inch of it.

    Overall I give this book...

    5 out of 5 Stars
    It really deserves it. =]

    Links to Preorder/Check Out:

    Thanks for Visiting and Happy Reading

    -Michael

    2 comments:

    1. Yay, I loved this one so I'm glad you did too. Jackson's relationship with his twin was one of my favorite parts so I can only imagined how it affected you. Great review!

      ReplyDelete
    2. It sounds very good! After I finish my current book, I plan to start Tempest.

      ReplyDelete